As I sat in the living room with my mom watching th Oklahoma/ Florida football game tonight, my dad was upstairs about to go to sleep since he has to wake up early to go to work, he shouted down to us asking if we had felt the earthquake, neither of us had. I thought he was crazy cause i hadn't felt anything, then my mom noticed that one of out light fixtures was swaying, which meant there had been an earthquake. Living in California you think we would be used to them, since I didn't feel the shake it didn't bother me, earthquakes in general don't really bother me but maybe thats because I haven't experienced on of such a magnitude that has done extreme damage. Well I do remember there being a some what large one when I was young but I don't recall much of anything about it, just being woken up and having to sit with my mom and brother while my dad check to make sure everything was fine.
Since I didn't care much about the earthquake, I just continued watching the game which I had more interest in, even though the team I wanted to win didn't win, but that's ok cause all i really cared about was USC winning the Rose Bowl, which they did. =]
The other day one of my Dads friend called the house and I answer the phone, my dad was already on his cell talking with work so my dad said to tell him he would call him, so I did so then my dads friend decided he would begin a conversation with me, he asked me what i wanted to do, what i wanted to be when i grew up. I instantly responded with "professional musician". He then asked me if there was any money in that, i answered "yes". which is debatable....
After the call ended I began to wonder if that is exactly what i wanted to with my life. I do love music, and my major is music but i haven't specified what area of music(performance, education, ect.) I've been told more then once, like probably many people have, that "you can be good at whatever you do" When I began taking piano lessons in 3rd grade. In 6th grade my teacher made the class write a letter to ourselves saying what we wanted to do with our lives and what not and he was going to give them to us when we graduated from high school. I remember at the time my best friend at the time and I both wanted to teach kindergarten. Things have changed. When it came time senior year for me to decided where I wanted to go to school and what I wanted to major in, I honestly had no idea. I thought about what I liked to do and what I thought I was at least some what good at. I chose music, obviously....but I don't know what exactly in music I am going to do, do I want to teach and if so what...trumpet, theory, history? Do i want to perform, if so with who, where, what style? Or maybe I could do something else, In fall I helped out with the Kenshu program that is at Citrus. For those who don't know, Japanese students come for a weekend and learn about, well music. The class I helped in was called "music magazine" I had no idea what to expect, it turned out to be a pretty cool class and seemed really interesting. It made me think that maybe that it something I could do, interview musicians, do articles on them, hear new bands, write about concerts and festivals. I think it could be something worth looking into, taking a class and seeing if it is really something I would like to do. I don't really like reading and writing and the whole grammar thing maybe because it wasn't something I thought I was good at, but who knows maybe I could get good at it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment